Curriculum and transfer articulation in the broadest sense are key factors in the development of general education programs. It is the collaborative efforts between these areas that provide for the development of efficient, student-centered, general education programs. The general education experience provides students with opportunities to explore broad areas of commonly held knowledge and prepares them to contribute to society through personal, social, and professional interactions with others. General education fosters students’ personal development by opening them to new directions, perspectives, and processes This page provides information, resources, templates and guidelines pertaining to the General Education and the General Studies process.
MCCCD-ASU Alignment of General Education
The general-education program at MCCCD–contained in its Arizona General Education Certificate (AGEC) –is fully aligned with the university general-studies requirements of Arizona State University (ASU)1. Alignment serves our shared students in at least two ways:
- It increases the ease of transferability of general-education courses from MCCCD to ASU, and vice versa.
- It increases the transparency of the transfer process for our shared students.
- In order to achieve the alignment of general-education programs, MCCCD and ASU have jointly agreed to the following:
- MCCCD course proposals for general-studies designations will be prepared according to the processes and procedures developed by the ASU General Studies Council.
- The ASU General Studies Council will evaluate MCCCD course proposals according to its criteria for awarding GS designations to courses.
- MCCCD will have at least one representative on the General Studies Council (the General Studies Faculty Representative), and may have more.
Any questions about the MCCCD-ASU alignment of general-education programs should be sent to the General Studies Faculty Representative.
Process and Procedures
Descriptions of General Studies Designations
How to Apply for General Studies Designations
General Studies Designation Request Forms
Exemplary Proposals for General Studies Designations
ASU General Studies Council Meetings/Agendas
Check Status of General Studies Proposal
General Studies Status Report
General Studies Status Archive
Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC)
Faculty General Education Representative